Tools and Resources
- Are you an enthusiastic, hands-on chemist with an affinity for modern instrumentation?
- We need you, to help with the production of biobased products
- This is a full-time permanent position with the Scion Biopolymers and Chemicals team
Scion is a Crown Research Institute specialising in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
What are we looking for? We need a capable technician to assist and contribute to research into developing new processes for the production and characterisation of biobased materials such as plastics, (fibre) composites, chemicals from biomass and bioderived components. You will assist in commercial material processing, testing and characterisation projects.
We want someone who is results driven and self-motivated, with a willingness to spend hands-on time in the laboratory. To be considered for this role, you need to have:
- Experience in chemical analytics and analytical instrumentation
- Experience and knowledge in extraction and separation techniques
- Familiarity with instrumental techniques such as mass spectrometry, FT-IR, UV-Vis and NMR
- Expertise in thermal analysis methods and wider materials characterisation
- Competency in laboratory settings and robust health and safety practices
- A BSc or MSc qualification in Chemistry (analytical chemistry preferred), with experience in research or a commercial environment, in a discipline directly related to the expertise requirements. Alternatively, at least 5 years' experience in a directly related commercial or research environment if you are not a graduate.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills to assist in building positive and enduring relationships across Scion and with external customers to enable new product development project success. We are home to creative science minds and have a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery. With our head office based on the edge of Rotorua's world famous Whakarewarewa Forest, Scion also offers an enviable working environment with excellent work/life balance initiatives. Rotorua is one of New Zealand's leading tourist destinations owing to its outstanding natural environment and proximity to coastal beaches and inland lakes, native forests, geothermal areas and volcanic ski-fields.
Scion is proud to offer:
- A stimulating research environment aimed at replacing oil derived products with environmentally friendly natural alternatives
- Cutting-edge research developing new functionalised chemicals, polymers, fibres and composites derived from bio-based materials and renewable resources
- An enviable work environment and a demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.